Saturday, October 17, 2009

The Insanity That is My Life

Okay, so this doesn't have anything to do with my job, but I must write about it or involuntarily go insane from having the scenario repeat in my brain.

So, last Sunday I was at my mom's house. She has been recovering from surgery and has been confined to her couch for the last two weeks, so I spent that Sunday keeping her company. Mostly we were watching numerous television programs that include, but are not limited to: Law & Order, Spongebob(my son made us watch this), and Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.

With night rapidly closing in on us, I decided to call it a night and get my son home to bed. We said our goodnight's to my mom and older brother, who was there playing on his computer(he leaves it there so my mom has Internet access), and headed out to my car. Let me pause in my tale here to admit that I have a crush on my car. I didn't expect to, I didn't want an "SUV" when I was shopping for a new vehicle. But, my brother convinced me to test drive a '96 Toyota 4-Runner, and I fell head over heels. I love my car!

Anyways....so my son and I get out to my car, nicknamed The Beast, partially due to my obsession with werewolves. I start the car as per usual and proceed to back out of my mom's driveway. I went barely 5 feet when I heard a huge KER-CHUNK! and my car proceeded to lower itself on the passenger side. My first thought was, "Shit! Either I just ran over one of my mom's dogs, or the tire just exploded." I got out and went to inspect the damage. I find the wheel well of my front passenger tire touching said tire.

I then yelled for my brother, who comes out and promptly sends me back for a flashlight, because the headlights on the car were not supplying the adequate light to see. I returned with the light shortly, and after a brief inspection, my brother announces that the ball joint has broken off. I burst into tears. My brother, trying to be consoling says, "Hey, be grateful! If this had happened while you were driving, you'd be dead right now!" Needless to say, this statement has produced multiple nightmares since that night.

My mother lends me the use of her truck for the week, as none of us have any money for repairs until the following Friday. So, this last week I've felt like a midget(I'm 5'1") driving my mom's giant truck around, but I am so grateful she let me. I think her exact words when handing over the keys were, "I'm stuck home, so just drive the damn thing!" I love how my mom words things.

Friday eventually arrives and I get a call from my mom saying my car is all fixed and I can pick it up the next day(today). Then, after receiving the best news I've heard all week, she tells me the following, "Your brother says the other ball joint is worn too, but we have to wait till next payday(2 weeks away) to get that fixed. Just drive real slow and everything should be fine."

Well, couple this with what my brother had said the night the disaster happened, and I could not sleep at all! I was scared to death to drive my car, afraid I'd be going down the road at 60mph and have the other ball joint drop, sending me to my untimely death.

Yes, I did get my car back, and yes, I am driving it. My fear of it killing me is still there, however my body will not let me resort to driving "real slow". I compared the old ball joint with the new one when I picked up my car, and I'm satisfied it will last for two more weeks. Let's hope my assumptions prove correct. If not, I'm haunting my brother, because he's the one that instilled that fear in my brain in the first place. Mwahahaha!

2 comments:

  1. That is scary! Please do drive slow! Did Kellie tell you her tire was flat a few weekends ago, but neither of us noticed until I was walking around the car to get back in. The scariest thing was that the tire shop told us it was because of cracks in the side-walls, a result of wear, and that if she'd been on the freeway the tire would have exploded too!

    Geez, I guess my prayers really do work! I'm glad you're ok and that you're getting it fixed soon, love you.

    ReplyDelete