Saturday, October 31, 2009

All Shapes and Sizes

Here at the lovely bookshop I call work(sometimes home, depends on how many hours I'm there that week), we cater to all kinds of people. Animals too! Yes, our shop is pet friendly, mostly because my boss raises wiener dogs(the real name I can't spell), and since they're a frequent visitor to the shop, she saw no reason to discriminate against any other four-legged friends.

I've seen just about every type of canine you can think of come in. Wiener dogs are the ones we see the most, again, thanks to my boss. Her two little dogs have had two litters in the past year, one was planned, the other not. Both times she would have to bring in the pups and mother for a few days after birth to keep an eye on them. So cute! You can't imagine how hard it is to concentrate on work when there's these adorable chocolate colored puppies so close by! I would've bought one, however my apartment building doesn't allow pets(i have a cat tho, shh!), and a dog just wouldn't be comfortable in my tiny home. Having to watch these puppies grow up then be sold to other people was torture!!

However, a lot of them were adopted by frequent customers, and so they make many reappearances to the shop. I always get that little baby voice whenever I see them too. You know, the one that starts out going, "Oh! What a precious lil baby! Oh, you're just so cute!". It just gets worse from there. And, I don't just do that to the boss's dog's offspring either, all dogs are subjected to it.

About two days ago we had a Great Dane come into the shop. Most travelers or infrequent locals don't know we allow dogs in the store, so they leave them outside. On this day a family of four came into the shop, with one child outside to hold the dog. After five minutes or so, another family member would go outside and trade places, so the other person could come inside and look around. This happened about three times before we noticed, and when my boss saw this, she told them to bring the dog in. That dog was almost as tall as I am! And it was incredibly light on it's feet, I could barely hear it walking thru the store. When any of the wiener dogs come in, they make so much noise it sounds like a pack of stampeding buffalo. Not this dog tho, he was as agile as a ballet dancer.

If I could have a dog, I'd pick a Red Heeler. That was the dog we had growing up, and I loved her so much, she was the perfect guard dog. Even tho I love the wiener dogs, they just aren't great protectors. If a thief broke in, what would a wiener dog do, nip his ankles till he left? That would be funny to see, but not very practical.

Most people assume I'm strictly a cat person, but I love all animals, even the ones that terrify me. I refuse to kill spiders. That drives my boss crazy, especially when I saw a black widow nesting on the outside of one of our windows, and I insisted on trapping it and setting it loose by the sagebrush. Just call me the walking contradiction I guess.

1 comment:

  1. I love Great Danes! Justin and I are totally going to get one someday. :)

    ReplyDelete