Sunday, December 20, 2009

Personal Opinion

Okay, so this one isn't about work. I just feel the need to write it. I was watching Gene Simmon's Family Jewels last night, and I couldn't believe how many people badger Gene on a daily basis to marry Shannon. I've been engaged three times, and now I no longer believe in marriage, at least, I don't believe in the whole "legal" process of it. The more I think about it, the more stupid the whole idea seems.

Once upon a time marriage was considered something sacred and beautiful. Now, it's a joke. Marriage doesn't guarantee anything anymore. A signed legal document doesn't guarantee your spouse will never leave you. It doesn't say they'll never cheat on you, have kids then abuse them and you, take all your money, murder you in your sleep, nothing. And, even if it did, it's not like it's a magical document that will actually prevent any of these things from happening.

As for wanting to share your life with someone, marriage is no longer needed for that. A couple living together without marrying is no longer the taboo that it once was. I've met couples that have been together for years without ever marrying, and they are far happier than any married couple I've known. I think part of that is that these people can wake up every morning and think, "I'm with the person next to me because I love them and I want to be with them." Married people can't say that. They get, "I'm with this person because I signed a legal document stating that I will share my life with them until I die, leave them, cheat on them, or get sick of them and go thru the lengthy, expensive, time consuming process of getting a divorce."

If your faith requires marriage as a stepping stone for whatever you believe the next life holds, then by all means, do it. It's my opinion that marriage (in the legal aspect) is been made useless, not yours. If I ever do get engaged again, I'll have a wedding, but not the marriage license. I don't need a piece of paper to define my love for another. I know you're asking, "then why have a wedding at all if you don't plan on making it legal?" The answer is that I would do that mainly for my family. I know they would want to celebrate my choice to spend my life with someone. Bringing governmental restrictions on my life is something I want to keep to a minimum tho.

No comments:

Post a Comment